Season’s greetings! For the holidays, we wanted to feature a treat that was both super yummy and dairy-free. We were inspired by Life, Love, and Sugar’s eggnog cupcake recipe, so naturally, we made a vegan version of it! We used ‘Nog (our special non-dairy take on the classic festive drink) as the vegan eggnog substitute. The cupcakes turned out delicious, and we think you’ll enjoy them just as much as we did.
- 1 cup ‘Nog (vegan eggnog)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba (egg substitute)
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (make sure it’s at room temp)
- 1 & 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 & 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- 4 tbsp ‘Nog
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp rum extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the vegan butter and brown sugar until you get a creamy texture (we hand-whisked and it worked just fine).
- Add in vanilla extract and ‘Nog.
- Slowly mix in the rest of dry and wet ingredients, mixing in the flour last until everything is well-incorporated.
- Grease a muffin pan and fill each up to 3/4 full of batter. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling down, begin making the frosting. Mix the vegan butter and shortening together.
- Add the ‘Nog, vanilla extract, nutmeg, cinnamon and rum extract.
- Slowly add the confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time and mix well. Keep adding confectioners’ sugar until the frosting is fluffy.
- Make sure the cupcakes are nice and cool, frost, and enjoy!